Companies often come up with job openings in various departments. While applying to any of these openings, sending the resume alone is not appropriate. Professional cover letters sent along with the application help you to introduce yourself, and specify the job openings you are interested in, and would like to give your candidature.
Professional cover letters can be used to apply for any kinds of job openings. These letters are like any other cover letters, but are written in a more professional manner depicting your professionalism. As a professional, when you send your resume for applying to any job opening, an accompanying cover letter complements your application, and gives it a befitting and complete look. Professional cover letters if drafted suitably not only display your professionalism; but also give you an opportunity to emphasize on personal traits, which are not portrayed through the resume.
A resume is a medium to convey and promote your technical skills which are directly related to your ability to perform the given job effectively. There is no space for personal attributes, which indirectly support and enhance your productivity at work. Professional cover letters help you to bridge this gap. This not only optimizes the chances of your resume being short listed and scrutinized further; but can also influence the outcome of the further selection process in your favor.
For the importance associated with professional cover letter, they should be carefully drafted. This generally requires a dedicated effort and time, so as to create an outstanding cover letter which can't yield the desired results. For all these, it is always recommended to keep professional cover letters ready beforehand, so that you don't lose out on crucial time. The same time can be utilized for other activities to prepare better for further selection process.
The sample tips given below can be referred to in writing your professional cover letters. However, it is advisable to fine tune them depending upon the job applied, and specified job description. Professional cover letters should always be precise, and answering to all queries of employers which can be easily interpreted through the job description. These tips are not exhaustive, and there is always a scope of improvement by blending personal creativity along with it.
Tips for professional cover letters
- Layout: First and foremost, you need to decide on the format you wish to follow for writing your cover letter. You must ensure that it is formal, and professionally acceptable. It will be an added advantage if you could keep up the letter format at par with the prevailing industrial practices and trends.
- Language: Use a language which appropriately balances your comprehensive skills, and is at par with the desired proficiency levels of an ideal candidate. If you are not comfortable with writing the cover letter yourself, you may use the services of professional writers; but ensure that the ideas are yours, and exhibit professionalism as demonstrated by you.
- Greeting: The salutation and closing lines should be appropriate, and as per the industrial trends.
- Content: Follow a sequential flow of information. You must start with a brief introduction about the job application; preferably 2-3 sentences. In the next paragraph, you can mention your professional qualification, experience which supports your candidacy. For writing the conclusion, you can reinforce on your optimality for the job, and express your gratification for the time devoted in reviewing your application. You can also seek for an opportunity to meet in future and discuss the job personally, to better justify your selection. Keep all the content precise and simple.
- Review and final mail Before finalizing the draft, it is always recommended to review your letter for any errors and rectify the same. An error at this stage can render your entire hard work void. Then, before finally mailing, ensure that you have appended your signatures. You may use electronic/digital signatures, if sending by email.
These tips when implemented in true spirit with personal innovations can yield job winning professional cover letters.
Below you will find examples of professional cover letters.